Sunday, August 22, 2010

A Sunny Morning Start

I'm a granola fan, but when bought at the store, the stuff tends to be pricey and loaded with sugar. As an alternative, I thought I'd try a homemade oatmeal recipe. I've experimented several times with preparing it at home, but today's preparation seemed the most promising.

First, take a look at the recipe. Now, the only thing I really did differently was to substitute half a cup of milk with half a cup of buttermilk. I also cooked the mixture for an extra ten minutes, as it was a little too moist when it came out of the oven the first time. (Okay, I also added a little more brown sugar, but I wasn't going to admit to that.) I would suggest some slivered almonds, but I didn't have any today.

Remember to refrigerate the oatmeal after its cooled. Freshly-picked strawberries are a nice add-on. By itself, it tastes a lot like an oatmeal cookie, and it would probably work very well as an ice cream or frozen yogurt topping. When you're ready to try a bowl, bear in mind it doesn't require as much water or liquid as you might expect. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment