Saturday, September 6, 2014

Read to End Cancer!

Dedicated to the loving memory of my uncle Phil Rand.  I’m sorry you never had the opportunity to finish this mystery, but I’ll always treasure your praise for the single chapter draft you did read.   We miss you, Phil. 

You may not have noticed the preceding dedication from The Blood Cries Out .  The words grew out of his praise for an early draft of the sixth chapter of my novel.  You see, Phil didn't offer praise easily; he was a quiet man.  That's why his words meant so much.  Not long afterwards, in the late summer of 2011, Phil succumbed to esophageal cancer.  It came on so brutally fast--out of nowhere--that it was like waves of pain and shock passing through the entire family.  He was too young, and no one was prepared.


That's why I decided I needed to do something meaningful in Phil's memory.  So, for each e-book purchased (by someone other than myself), I pledge to donate one dollar to the Prevent Cancer Foundation through October 15th.  I'm confident that sales will exceed twenty-five books, but I'll set twenty-five dollars as my pledged minimum donation.  This corresponds to about half of my royalties for the sale of the same number of books, but, more importantly, the twenty-five dollar amount is enough to for the Prevent Cancer Foundation to pay for at least one skin cancer screening.  I challenge other mystery authors to join me to...Read to End Cancer.  Don't be a bystander; decide to make a difference.  #ReadtoEndCancer




No comments:

Post a Comment