Sunday, August 20, 2017

London/Rome Study Abroad Goals & Expectations

     In just over a week now, I'll be leaving the USA for London along with a group of fellow student travelers from Marylhurst University. I look forward with great anticipation to seeing the sights of two of the truly great cities of the world. As I wrote recently about making this journey, the focus is really upon learning and connecting the dots regarding the cultural and physical context of some of the world's greatest art and literature. I look forward to visiting the libraries and museums of London and Rome, and I am particularly excited for the opportunity to spend hours upon hours at the Vatican. The Globe Theater is also on the itinerary, and I am confident that the play will be amazing. For a guy whose only out of country travel has been limited to Canada, I'm confident this will be an enriching experience for all of us student travelers.

     I selected the image above from Google Earth, because it's illustrative of how perspective influences our understanding of places.  This image may evoke a welcoming environment, but it is actually North Africa.  The shape and feel of places change as we grow nearer and assumptions are slowly replaced with familiarity.  It's my sincere hope that the upcoming trip will be illuminating in this regard for all of us travelers.

     I decided to add that I think I'm most looking forward to London.  The language barrier for Italy makes me a bit uncomfortable.  Of course, being uncomfortable is not necessarily a  bad thing.  Looking forward to what may come!


No comments:

Post a Comment