Saturday, September 24, 2016

Fall Reflections

Fall Reflections

As a reader of this message today, you become an important part of our arts and writing community.  Thank you for this.  While the regular newsletter remains on hold at least for another year as I complete my degree at Marylhurst University, I did hope to share some news with you.

Current projects of mine include an article exploring the potential effect of social media upon the formation of conscience.  If you sail by my Facebook author page and heave a heavy "like" off the side, you can catch future updates.  (Yes, I realize there is some irony in sharing an article like this on social media, but we live in the time in which we are placed, right?)  In other news, Kimberly Erickson's new studio is setup now as part of our new home in Monmouth--situated just a few blocks away from Western Oregon University.  In addition to working on an amazing piece of glass-work, she's also busy re-designing her website.  She is also busy seeking a new gallery to showcase her art.

Last Monday, three of us did a 17-mile (round-trip) hike to Hank's Lake in the Mt. Jefferson Wilderness; it was breathtaking in more ways than one.  When I returned, I created a short video collection of my nature photography for this year.  As you can probably tell, I am fascinated with water in all of its forms, as well as the nature of time in relation to how we see the world.  Of particular interest to me, for instance, is how our eyes and our very awareness are set at a precise speed.  As a photographer, I can adjust shutter speed from slower to faster, allowing the viewer to see the world as it lies hidden all around us.

I also invite you to stop by my Flickr collection of nearly 23,000 photographs: mostly public at this time.  Generally speaking, everything but photographs of people can be explored by the casual visitor.  Last entries include two trips to Mt. Jefferson and our first visit to Crater Lake.  Bear in mind, however, that not each shot is a work of wonder; this also serves as an important photo backup.  While visitors no longer can download or use photos here, I invite you to visit my Bigstock page for image purchases.  If another image is desired, please also feel free to contact me directly.  If you're on Twitter, by the way, be sure to check out my new tag: #KarlsOregon .  (In a related vein, here is also an article I wrote about a Mt. Jefferson hike from several years ago.)

Starting a week from today, my son will be starting his collegiate career at Oregon State University, my daughter is also beginning her final year at Western Oregon University, and I am, of course, still attending Marylhurst for about one more year.  (I hope just one more year!)  With three out of the four of us working as busy college students--and all of us working hard--these newsletters will be few and far between.  I do hope, though, that you will continue to hang around.  More great stuff to come--just out of sight and on the horizon!



Best Regards,



Karl & Kimberly Erickson
Monmouth, Oregon

No comments:

Post a Comment