Sunday, February 22, 2015

Time to Boycott Goupon?


It's not my standard procedure to suggest company boycotts.  It often seems like a pointless venture.  In this case, though...  I was thoroughly disgusted the other day with a product I happened upon on Groupon's website.  I read the description twice--just to make sure--and my jaw dropped.  Gross doesn't even do it justice.  Now, I'm no prude, but this particular item for sale on their site was degrading--to both men and women.  I've shopped Groupon many times over the years, and I've only been happy with the product purchased once or twice.  Let's face it, most of the time it's junk--or a scam. 

More importantly, though, I've never noticed any warning that users must be at least eighteen.  When I raised concerns with Groupon, here's the little response I received.  





 Of course, the reason for Groupon's move to carry adult products is clear.  Just look at the number of sales next many of the items.  It's clearly a big moneymaker.  If you don't believe me as to the depth Groupon has sunk, do a search for "sex," then try not to lose your lunch.  There's enough depravity in society at large to work its way into every facet of our lives, if we're not vigilant.  Why take a stand against this particular player?  Maybe they've been selling this junk for years, and I never noticed.  In fact, maybe almost no one cares anymore.  We're all so inured to the daily spiritual gauntlet we run, does it matter that one more company is lowering the bar a little more?  

Well, I tend to think Groupon might be salvageable, if people of faith stand up and make their voices heard.  Let's let Groupon know what we think of their descent, and maybe they will return to being a more family-friendly online retailer.


What can I do?


Good question!  Groupon doesn't let you close your account per se, but they do let you unsubscribe from all e-mails as well as remove your saved credit card information.  I suggest you log-in, head to your account page, and make these changes.  Next, I suggest you write one, or more, of the people identified below.  Let them know how important this issue is to you and how upset it makes you feel.  Promise to not buy anything else through Groupon until these items are no longer sold on their site.  After all, if some pervert wants to buy this kind of garbage, there are plenty of places to go.  This kind of merchandise devalues human life, disrespects relationships, and turns people into objects.  It contributes to the societal decay we see all around us.  I say that it's time to put our collective foot down and boycott this company.  What say you?



Groupon Contacts

Eric Lefkofsky, Co-Founder and CEO, elefkofsky@groupon.com .

Kal Raman, COO, kraman@groupon.com .
Jason Child, CFO, jchild@groupon.com .
Dane Drobny, Executive, ddrobny@groupon.com .
Rich Williams, SVP, richw@groupon.com .
Hugh Hysel, Executive, hysel@groupon.com .
Sri Viswanath, VP Engineering, sri@groupon.com .
David Schellhase, Executive, dschellhase@groupon.com .
Mihir Shaw, Public Relations, mihir@groupon.com .

No comments:

Post a Comment