Saturday, April 7, 2012

Reflections for Holy Saturday & Easter

Whether Catholic or Protestant, it should go without saying that Easter is one of the most important days on the calendar.  Some of my fondest memory as a child involve Easter recollections. It's so odd to me to be asked casual questions by friends or colleagues like "So, any plans for the weekend?"  I know they mean well, but to me the question betrays an emptyness in the speaker's heart that's difficult to face--or understand.  


At least, it opens a door to an opportunity to talk about the true meaning of Easter: Christ.  I hope others are able to use these akward moments to at least endeavor to remind others of the joy of Easter, of Him.  After all, isn't that what it's all about? I hope you will join me in praying for those souls who don't know Christ or His Church.


Below is an ancient prayer for Holy Saturday.  (This prayer is also quoted within one of my favorite personal essays, "Mysterious Tools.")  You may also want to check my Easter reflections from last year.



Today a great silence reigns on earth, a great silence and a great stillness. A great silence because the King is asleep. The earth trembled and is still because God has fallen asleep in the flesh and he has raised up all who have slept ever since the world began. . . He has gone to search for Adam, our first father, as for a lost sheep. Greatly desiring to visit those who live in darkness and in the shadow of death, he has gone to free from sorrow Adam in his bonds and Eve, captive with him - He who is both their God and the son of Eve. . . "I am your God, who for your sake have become your son. . . I order you, O sleeper, to awake. I did not create you to be a prisoner in hell. Rise from the dead, for I am the life of the dead." 


I hope all of my readers have a wonderful Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment